By Georgia L. Irby
A significant other to technology, expertise, and medication in old Greece and Rome brings a clean viewpoint to the examine of those disciplines within the historical global, with 60 chapters reading those issues from a number of severe and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean point of view to the learn of technology, know-how, and drugs within the historical global, with 60 chapters reading those themes from numerous serious and technical perspectives
- Begins insurance in six hundred BCE and comprises sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those rules into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, options, and activities in historical technology, know-how, and medication in the ancient, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st specializes in mathematical and traditional sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read Online or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set PDF
Similar special topics books
This e-book simplifies software program dimension and explains its price as a device for decision-makers at software program businesses. concepts offered in software program Metrics: A advisor to making plans, research, and alertness are derived from most sensible practices. the tips are field-proven, down-to-earth, and easy, making it a useful source for these striving for approach development.
In components of Korea and China, moon bears, black yet for the crescent-shaped patch of white on their chests, are captured within the wild and taken to "bear farms" the place they're imprisoned in squeeze cages, and a metal catheter is inserted into their gall bladders. The dripping bile is amassed as a medication for illnesses starting from an disappointed abdominal to pores and skin burns.
Surprise treatment is coming round again at the present time within the therapy of significant psychological ailment. regardless of its reemergence as a secure and potent psychiatric software, even if, it is still shrouded by means of a longstanding unfavorable public picture, no longer least because of movies comparable to the vintage One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, the place the inmate of a psychiatric sanatorium (played through Jack Nicholson) is subjected to electro-shock to decrease his rebellious habit.
Lasers became an crucial clinical device and new strategies and coverings concerning them are being pioneered for all time. The editor and individuals commence via the reaction of tissue to laser gentle. They then define the categories of lasers utilized in drugs, together with solid-state, gasoline, dye and semiconductor lasers and talk about using lasers for diagnostics, reminiscent of optical coherence tomography, laser spectroscopy in biomedicine and optical biopsy.
- Cheese 1, General aspects, Edition: 3rd ed
- Proton Therapy and Radiosurgery
- Pharmaceutical Technology: Controlled Drug Release Vol 2
- The Stepchildren of Science: Psychical Research and Parapsychology in Germany, C. 1870-1939. (Clio Medica)
- Streptomyces in Nature and Medicine: The Antibiotic Makers
Extra resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set
The source of generation for extant things is that into which destruction occurs, according to what is proper. They pay penalty and retribution to each other for injustices according to the order of time, as he says in a poetic fashion. (TEGP 9) The words in bold here are generally accepted as Anaximander’s own (KRS 105–106, 117–121). We also hear: Anaximander says that which is productive out of the eternal hot and cold was separated at the genesis of this cosmos, and that a sphere of flame was formed around the air around the earth like the bark around a tree.
From an initial state of mixture, Nous—pure, unlimited, and 20 Andrew D. Gregory unmixed—controls a vortex which separates out the mixture and leads to the formation of the cosmos: Nous is the finest and purest of all things, it has all knowledge concerning everything and it has the greatest power. Nous controls all things that have life, both the greater and the smaller. Nous controlled the revolution of the whole, such that it revolved in the beginning. At first it revolved in a small region, but now it revolves in a greater, and will revolve in a greater still.
Empedocles Empedocles’ cosmic cycle has been the subject of much debate. I give the orthodox or “symmetrical” view of this cycle, though there are many variations, and more radical interpretations are possible. For Empedocles, there are four elements, earth, water, air, and fire, and two principles, Love and Strife. I am careful not to call Love and Strife “forces” as they do not act in a manner recognizable as any modern description of a force. Love is a principle of association, whereby all the elements are mixed together, while Strife is a principle of dissociation whereby all the elements are separated.