By J. Russell
Addressing systemic adjustments within the heart East's safeguard atmosphere because the Iraq battle, sought after specialists research the demanding situations those adjustments pose to US process and coverage. They research the explanations of profound fiscal, political and spiritual transitions and their implications for hopes of reform.
Read or Download Critical Issues Facing the Middle East: Security, Politics, and Economics (Initiatives in Strategic Studies: Issues and Policies) PDF
Best middle eastern books
"We pay a excessive expense after we fail to appreciate Islam," writes Roger Hardy during this well timed consultant. Designed for readers of all backgrounds, this e-book demystifies the phenomenon of Islamism and the forces that force it, situating the move inside of a clarifying background that perspectives Islamism, for the final 200 years, because the made of a conflict opposed to Western domination and on account of the disappointments of modernization.
This quantity explores 4 key issues emanating from Okakura Tenshin's philosophy and legacy: Okakura Tenshin and definitely the right of Pan-Asianism; other kinds of Pan-Asianism (especially Islam and China); artwork and Asia; and, methods of defining Asia (up to the current day). Okakura Tenshin (1862-1913), paintings historian and ideologue pushed through a inspiration of Asia sure by means of tradition, is an important determine in Japan's glossy highbrow historical past.
- Resistance in Contemporary Middle Eastern Cultures: Literature, Cinema and Music (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- A History of the Middle East: Fourth Edition
- Islam and Development: Exploring the Invisible Aid Economy
- The Oral and the Written in Early Islam (Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern Literatures)
- Arab Culture and the Novel: Genre, Identity and Agency in Egyptian Fiction (Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern Literatures)
Extra resources for Critical Issues Facing the Middle East: Security, Politics, and Economics (Initiatives in Strategic Studies: Issues and Policies)
The rentier nature of both economies is no less evident: revenues derived from oil represent the bulk of public and external revenues. In essence, these revenues enable the governments in each country to dominate the private sector and shift resources toward activities not necessarily the most productive economically or desirable from the point of view of the population at Reforming the Rentier Stat e 39 large. In short, the collection and subsequent redistribution of oil revenues takes on both an economic and political dimension.
S. support. This only bolsters hard-liners within authoritarian regimes, making them less likely to seek accommodation with opposition elements. Pious public rhetoric notwithstanding, the actions of the world’s most powerful democracy block Arab transition to democracy because the United States does not really want it to happen. ” American interests in the Arab region have been defined to include: support for Israel, regardless of its occupation policies in the West Bank and Gaza; opposition to any single state having even short-run market power over oil prices; and opposition to any regime that might harbor jihadi salafi terrorists.
2. Isaiah Berlin, “Notes on Prejudice,” New York Review of Books, October 18, 2001, 12. 3. Richard Bulliet, The Case for Islamo-Christian Civilization (New York: Columbia University Press, 2004). 4. See Karen Armstrong, The Battle for God (New York: Knopf, 2000), for a detailed analysis of the role of religious fundamentalism as the “midwife of modernity” for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. For a similar story about the United States, see James A. Morone, Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin in American History (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003).