By Steve Leibson
Microprocessor cores used for SOC layout are the direct descendents of Intel’s unique 4004 microprocessor. simply as packaged microprocessor ICs range generally of their attributes, so do microprocessors packaged as IP cores. even if, SOC designers nonetheless evaluate and choose processor cores the best way they formerly in comparison and chosen packaged microprocessor ICs. the massive challenge with this option strategy is that it assumes that the legislation of the microprocessor universe have remained unchanged for many years. This assumption isn't any longer valid.
Processor cores for SOC designs could be way more plastic than microprocessor ICs for board-level process designs. Shaping those cores for particular functions produces far better processor potency and lots more and plenty reduce process clock premiums. jointly, Tensilica’s Xtensa and Diamond processor cores represent a relations of software-compatible microprocessors masking an incredibly vast functionality variety from uncomplicated keep an eye on processors, to DSPs, to 3-way superscalar processors. but all of those processors use a similar software-development instruments in order that programmers acquainted with one processor within the family members can simply change to another.
This e-book emphasizes a processor-centric MPSOC (multiple-processor SOC) layout variety formed by way of the realities of the 21st-century and nanometer silicon. It advocates the task of projects to firmware-controlled processors at any time when attainable to maximise SOC flexibility, reduce strength dissipation, lessen the scale and variety of hand-built common sense blocks, scale down the linked verification attempt, and reduce the general layout threat.
· a vital, no-nonsense consultant to the layout of 21st-century mega-gate SOCs utilizing nanometer silicon.
· Discusses contemporary key concerns affecting SOC layout, according to author's a long time of non-public event in constructing huge electronic platforms as a layout engineer whereas operating at Hewlett-Packard's laptop desktop department and at EDA computing device pioneer Cadnetix, and protecting such subject matters as an award-winning expertise journalist and editor-in-chief for EDN journal and the Microprocessor Report.
· Explores conventionally approved obstacles and perceived limits of processor-based procedure layout after which explodes those man made constraints via a clean outlook on and dialogue of the detailed skills of processor cores designed particularly for SOC design.
· Thorough exploration of the evolution of processors and processor cores used for ASIC and SOC layout with a glance at the place the has come from, and the place it is going.
· Easy-to-understand causes of the features of configurable and extensible processor cores via an in depth exam of Tensilica's configurable, extensible Xtensa processor center and 6 pre-configured Diamond cores.
· the main complete overview on hand of the sensible points of configuring and utilizing a number of processor cores to accomplish very tough and bold SOC rate, functionality, and tool layout pursuits.
Read Online or Download Designing SOCs with Configured Cores: Unleashing the Tensilica Xtensa and Diamond Cores PDF
Similar microprocessors & system design books
This publication is a hands-on creation to the foundations and perform of embedded process layout utilizing the PIC microcontroller. filled with invaluable examples and illustrations, it provides an in-depth remedy of microcontroller layout, programming in either meeting language and C, and contours complicated issues resembling networking and real-time working structures.
This article makes in-depth explorations of a huge variety of theoretical issues in computing device technological know-how. It plunges into the functions of the summary thoughts in an effort to confront and handle the skepticism of readers, and instill in them an appreciation for the usefulness of thought. A two-part presentation integrates common sense and formal language—both with functions.
- Real-Time and Embedded Computing Systems and Applications: 9th International Conference, RTCSA 2003, Tainan, Taiwan, February 18-20, 2003. Revised Papers (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
- Mathematics of Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic, 1st Edition
- Logic and Language Models for Computer Science
- Microcontrollers in practice
Extra resources for Designing SOCs with Configured Cores: Unleashing the Tensilica Xtensa and Diamond Cores
11-13. CHAPTER 2 THE SOC DESIGN FLOW Our primary tools for comprehending and controlling complex objects are structure and abstraction --Niklaus Wirth SOC design techniques are layered upon ASIC design methods. Therefore, any proposed system-design style intended for SOCs must be compatible with ASIC design flows. A truly practical SOC design style must, in fact, seamlessly dovetail with the ASIC design flow. Such a design style should not require the SOC design team to learn and use radically new design tools.
Most complex, high-performance tasks have easily identifiable subtasks that can be distributed to multiple processors 48 Chapter 2 9 The SOC Design Flow and executed in parallel. 264 video decoding consists of subtasks that include bitstream parsing and decoding and pixel reconstruction using macroblocks. 264 decoding algorithm. 264 decoder lack the cooling fans or power sources needed to support such a processor in a system. The single, complex video-decoding task can be split across two tailored ASIPs: a bitstream processor and a pixel processor.
This is the underlying premise behind the development of configurable processor cores or ASIPs. ISA extension is not new. Processor vendors have long added ISA extensions to enhance application performance. The bestknown ISA extensions are probably the enhancements made to Intel's 8086 processor by the 8087 floating-point coprocessor and the MMX and SSE multimedia extensions added to Intel's Pentium processor family. These examples demonstrate that it's quite possible to significantly improve a processor's execution performance for specific tasks through ISA extension.