By Alice Ambrose, Morris LAZEROWITZ
First released in 2002. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation.
Read Online or Download G. E. Moore: Essays in Retrospect PDF
Similar history & surveys books
Husserl is among the most vital philosophers of the 20th century and his contribution to the phenomenology circulation is generally recognized. The Cartesian Meditations is his most famed, and most generally studied paintings. The e-book introduces and assesses: Husserl's lifestyles and heritage to the Cartesian Meditations, the guidelines and textual content of the Cartesian Meditations and the continued imporance of Husserl's paintings to Philosophy.
This accomplished selection of unique essays written through a world team of students addresses the significant issues in Latin American philosophy. Represents the main entire survey of old and modern Latin American philosophy to be had todayComprises a in particular commissioned number of essays, lots of them written by means of Latin American authorsExamines the background of Latin American philosophy and its present concerns, strains the advance of the self-discipline, and gives biographical sketches of key Latin American thinkersShowcases the variety of methods, matters, and kinds that represent the sector
Even supposing Nietzsche is usually mentioned as a forerunner of up to date methods to interpretations, little recognition has been paid to the categorical contributions to interpretation idea present in the Nietzschean textual content. Schrift's well-documented examine rectifies this example. Drawing on assets from classical and modern French, German and English Nietzsche scholarship, this research specializes in a simple interpretive challenge: the right way to steer clear of the dogmatic positing of 1 interpretation because the right one with out lapsing into unmitigated relativism during which all interpretations are considered as both valid.
- Oxford Studies in Early Modern Philosophy: Volume IV
- DIALECTICAL MATERIALISM
- Scholastic Meditations (Studies in Philosophy and the History of Philosophy)
- A Letter on the Principles of Justness and Decency, Containing a Defence of the Treatise De Cive of the Learned Mr Hobbes
- Contemporaries of Erasmus: A Biographical Register of the Renaissance and Reformation, Volume 2 - F-M
- Ricoeur and Lacan
Additional info for G. E. Moore: Essays in Retrospect
In the same entry, Moore criticises Professor Hempel who, with other logicians, has put forward the claim that a proposition which is a specification of '( 3 x)epx' is also a specification of '( 3 x)epx. (epx. g. 'Something is a cat' is the same proposition as 'Something is a cat and it is not the case that it is both a cat and not a cat'. The consequence of this claim that Moore brings out is that 'every tautology is the same as every other tautology', which is to say that there is only one tautology.
300. 1 2 54 G. E. MOORE-ESSAYS IN RETROSPECT At one important university an attempt has been in process to revive a way of thinking in philosophy which was popular before Moore's work sobered philosophers, before it brought them down to the earth of Common Sense. But its revival is uneasy, and it is safe to say that the prospects of its having a considerable duration and influence are not excellent-because of what Moore has done for philosophy. What was all right before Moore is not all right after Moore.
He and his wife arrived in America in October and stayed there until May 1944. During GEORGE EDWARD MOORE 18 73- 1 95 8 33 the spring of 194:1; he lectured at Princeton University; and in the summer Moore went west to be Howison Lecturer at the University of California in Berkeley, living (and also teaching) at Mills College near San Francisco. During this year Moore was largely occupied in writing the 145-page 'Reply to My Critics' (in PGEM), the most substantial and important work of his later life.