By Gilbert Thompson
Tony Seed, Gilbert Thompson, Jackie Downs and John MacDermot on the book's release in London
This e-book brings jointly in a single quantity fifteen Nobel Prize-winning discoveries that experience had the best impression upon scientific technological know-how and the perform of medication throughout the twentieth century and as much as the current time. Its total goal is to enlighten, entertain and stimulate. this is often specially so when you are interested in or considering a occupation in scientific examine.
somebody attracted to the details of a particular award or Laureate can receive unique info at the subject by way of having access to the Nobel Foundation's site. against this, this e-book goals to supply a much less formal and extra own view of the technology and scientists concerned, by way of having fashionable teachers write a bankruptcy each one a few Nobel Prize-winning discovery of their personal parts of curiosity and services.
Read Online or Download Nobel Prizes That Changed Medicine PDF
Best special topics books
This publication simplifies software program dimension and explains its price as a device for decision-makers at software program businesses. recommendations offered in software program Metrics: A advisor to making plans, research, and alertness are derived from most sensible practices. the tips are field-proven, down-to-earth, and simple, making it a useful source for these striving for method development.
In components of Korea and China, moon bears, black yet for the crescent-shaped patch of white on their chests, are captured within the wild and taken to "bear farms" the place they're imprisoned in squeeze cages, and a metal catheter is inserted into their gall bladders. The dripping bile is amassed as a remedy for diseases starting from an disappointed abdominal to epidermis burns.
Surprise remedy is coming round again this day within the remedy of significant psychological disorder. regardless of its reemergence as a secure and powerful psychiatric software, notwithstanding, it is still shrouded through a longstanding adverse public photograph, no longer least as a result of motion pictures similar to the vintage One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, the place the inmate of a psychiatric health facility (played by way of Jack Nicholson) is subjected to electro-shock to scale down his rebellious habit.
Lasers became an essential scientific software and new ideas and coverings regarding them are being pioneered forever. The editor and individuals commence through taking a look at the reaction of tissue to laser gentle. They then define the categories of lasers utilized in drugs, together with solid-state, fuel, dye and semiconductor lasers and speak about using lasers for diagnostics, resembling optical coherence tomography, laser spectroscopy in biomedicine and optical biopsy.
- From Snake Oil to Medicine: Pioneering Public Health (Healing Society: Disease, Medicine, and History)
- Medical Devices: Surgical and Image-Guided Technologies
- Nutrition and Genomics: Issues of Ethics, Law, Regulation and Communication
- Neurological Concepts in Ancient Greek Medicine
- The endometrium
- Long Night’s Journey into Day: Prisoners of War in Hong Kong and Japan, 1941-1945
Additional resources for Nobel Prizes That Changed Medicine
29. Smith EL, Parker LFJ. Purification of antipernicious anaemia factor. Biochem J 1948; 43: viii. 30. West R. Activity of vitamin B12 in Addisonian pernicious anemia. Science 1948; 107: 398. 31. Hodgkin DC, Kamper J, Mackay M et al. Structure of vitamin B12. Nature 1956; 178: 64–66. 32. Castle WB. 1. The effect of the administration to patients with pernicious anemia of the contents of the normal human stomach after ingestion of beef muscle. Am J Med Sci 1929; 178: 748–763. 33. Castle WB, Townsend WC, Heath CW: 111.
Harley G. Diabetes: Its Various Forms and Different Treatments. London: Walton and Maberly; 1866. 2. Campbell WR. Anabasis. Canad Med Assoc J 1962; 87: 1055–1061. 3. Nothmann MM. The history of the discovery of pancreatic diabetes. Bull Hist Med 1954; 28: 272–274. 4. Minkowski O. Historical development of the theory of pancreatic diabetes. Diabetes 1989; 38: 1–6. 5. Murray GR. Note on the treatment of myxoedema by hypodermic injections of an extract of the thyroid gland of a sheep. Br Med J 1891; 2: 796–797.
6. Biermer A. Uber eine form von progressiver perniciöser anämie. Schweiz. Arzte 1872; 2: 15. 7. Sörenson ST. Taellinger af blodlegemer i 3 Tilfalde af excessiv oligocythaemi. Hospitals Tidende 1874; 1: 513–521. 8. Hayem G. Des alterations anatomique du sang dans l’anémie. In: Congres Periodiques Internat Sciences Med, 5’me Session. ; 1877; 895: 211–217. 9. Ehrlich P. Uber regeneration und degeneration rother blutsceibenbei anämien. Berl Klin Wochenschr 1880; 17: 405. 10. Smith T. On changes in the red blood corpuscles in the pernicious anemia of Texas cattle fever.