By L. Lam, J. Prost (auth.), Lui Lam, Jacques Prost (eds.)
Solitons are a widely known and fascinating point of nonlinear habit in a continuing procedure resembling a fluid: a wave propagates throughout the medium with no distortion. Liquid crystals are hugely ordered structures with out a inflexible, long-range constitution. Solitons in liquid crystals (sometimes often called "walls") have a large choice of exceptional houses which are changing into very important for functional purposes reminiscent of electroluminescent exhibit. This e-book, the 1st assessment of the topic to be released, comprises not just surveys of the prevailing literature, yet offers new effects as well.
Read Online or Download Solitons in Liquid Crystals PDF
Similar nonfiction_8 books
1. 1 ancient heritage skinny plates and shells are ordinary structural parts in different civil, mechanical, aeronautical and marine engineering layout functions. flooring slabs, bridge decks, concrete pavements, sheet pile keeping partitions are all, below basic lateral loading conditions, situations of plate bending in civil engineering.
Strong kingdom fabrics were gaining value lately specially within the context of units which could supply important infrastructure and suppleness for numerous human endeavours. during this context, microwave fabrics have a special position particularly in numerous gadget purposes in addition to in communique networks.
Molecular Magnetism: From Molecular Assemblies to the units stories the cutting-edge within the sector. it really is prepared in elements, the 1st of which introduces the fundamental techniques, theories and actual innovations required for the research of the magnetic molecular fabrics, evaluating them with these utilized in the examine of classical magnetic fabrics.
The concept that of managed liberate has attracted expanding consciousness over the past 20 years, with the purposes of this know-how proliferating in different fields in cluding drugs, agriculture and biotechnology. examine and developmental efforts on the topic of managed unlock are multiplying in either and academia.
- Gangliosides and Modulation of Neuronal Functions
- Calcium and Contractility: Smooth Muscle
- Dynamic Interactions in Neural Networks: Models and Data
- Metallic Alloys: Experimental and Theoretical Perspectives
- Seminar on Functional Operators and Equations: Forschungsinstitut für Mathematik, ETH, Zürich, October 1965 - July 1966 (Lecture Notes in Mathematics)
Extra resources for Solitons in Liquid Crystals
Res. Technol. 21, 301 (1986); P. Schiller, G. Pelzl, and D. Demus, Liq. Cryst. 2, 21 (1987). 37. J. E. Maclennan, N. A. Clark, and M. A. Handschy, Chap. 5 of this volume. 38. L. Lam, in Wave Phenomena, edited by L. Lam and H. C. Morris (Springer, New York, 1989). 39. P. D. Lax, Commun. Pure Appl. Math. 21, 467 (1968). 40. V. E. Zakharov and A. B. Shabat, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 61,118 (1971) [Sov. Phys. JETP 34, 62 (1972)]. 41. M. J. Ablowitz, D. J. Kaup, A. C. Newell, and H. Segur, Phys. Rev. Lett.
76. V. G. Kamensky, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. »). 77. F. Kh. Abdullaev, A. A. Abdumalikov, and E. N. Tsoi, Phys. Status Solidi b 146, 457 (1988). 78. K. S. Krishnamurthy and M. S. Bhate, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 128, 29 (1985). 79. A. N. Chuvyrov, Sov. Phys. CrystaUogr. 19, 180 (1974). 80. R. Pindak, C. Y. Young, R. B. Meyer, and N. A. Clark, Phys. Rev. Lett. 45, 1193 (1980). 81. J. Prost, in Liquid Crystals of One- and Two-Dimensional Order, edited by W. Helfrich and G. Heppke (Springer, Berlin, 1980).
V. G. Kamensky, Sov. Phys. JETP 60, 723 (1984). 76. V. G. Kamensky, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. »). 77. F. Kh. Abdullaev, A. A. Abdumalikov, and E. N. Tsoi, Phys. Status Solidi b 146, 457 (1988). 78. K. S. Krishnamurthy and M. S. Bhate, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 128, 29 (1985). 79. A. N. Chuvyrov, Sov. Phys. CrystaUogr. 19, 180 (1974). 80. R. Pindak, C. Y. Young, R. B. Meyer, and N. A. Clark, Phys. Rev. Lett. 45, 1193 (1980). 81. J. Prost, in Liquid Crystals of One- and Two-Dimensional Order, edited by W.