By Jorge Luis Borges
Airborne dirt and dust jacket has one area inch approximately invisible closed tear at most sensible part, another way good condition.
Read or Download The Aleph and Other Stories, 1933-1969: Together with Commentaries and an Autobiographical Essay PDF
Similar caribbean & latin american books
Taken with the area as an entire and drawing from files in Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, Guyana, St. Kitts, Antigua, the U. S. and U. ok. , this publication information the region's influence at the U. S. (particularly on Jim Crow), because it charts the British Empire's retreat within the face of a problem from Washington.
Eugenio Cambaceres used to be the 1st to introduce the naturalist demeanour of Emile Zola to Argentinean literature within the overdue 19th century. The paintings of Cambaceres, a precursor to the modern Argentinean novel, is important for an knowing of the interval of consolidation of Argentina, the formation of a countrywide identification, and particularly for the function of the highbrow in the course of that transition.
Utilizing El lazarillo de ciegos caminantes (the "Guide for Blind Rovers" by way of Alonso Carrio de Lavandera, the simplest identified paintings of the period) as a leaping off element for a sprawling dialogue of 18th-century Spanish the USA, Ruth Hill argues for a richer, extra nuanced figuring out of the connection among Spain and its western colonies.
Written from various views, the 11 essays that make up Vargas Llosa and Latin American Politics painting the Nobel Prize-winning Peruvian novelist not just as essentially the most celebrated writers of the final 50 years, but in addition as a principal effect at the region’s political evolution. Ever considering his conversion to unfastened marketplace ideology within the Nineteen Eighties, Mario Vargas Llosa has waged public conflict opposed to what he believes are the scourges of socialism and populism.
- Brother's Keeper: The United States, Race, and Empire in the British Caribbean, 1937-1962
- Women, Guerrillas, and Love: Understanding War in Central America
- Neither Saints Nor Sinners: Writing the Lives of Women in Spanish America
- Beyond Tradeoffs: Market Reform and Equitable Growth in Latin America
- Haitian-Dominican Counterpoint: Nation, State, and Race on Hispaniola
Additional resources for The Aleph and Other Stories, 1933-1969: Together with Commentaries and an Autobiographical Essay
39. Omitted variable bias occurs when a variable is omitted that is correlated with the dependent variable and one or more of the included explanatory variables (King et al. 1994, 169). Endogeneity, in its purest form, refers to simultaneous causation between Y and one or more of the X’s. Selection bias refers to the problem of observing an outcome only as a function of an unobserved variable, though there can also be selection on observables. 40. See Elbadawi and Sambanis (2002) and Sambanis (2002) for a discussion of endogeneity and selection problems in the quantitative literature on civil war.
The proportion of a country’s terrain that is mountainous was measured by Gerrard (2000), a physical geographer who specializes in mountainous terrain. His measure is based not just on altitude but takes into account plateaus and rugged uplands. 15. We constructed a dispersion index of the population on a country-by-country basis. A value of 0 indicates that the population is evenly distributed across the country and a value of 1 indicates that the total population is concentrated in one area. Data are available for 1990 and 1995.
Other interesting interactive effects are also explored, as between economic growth and democracy, and ethnic heterogeneity and political institutions. From Statistics to Cases and Back to Statistics In sum, the case study project has several uses. It helps us establish the internal validity of the logic that underlies the CH model of civil war onset; it identifies problems with data measurement and suggests solutions for it; it helps resolve the endogeneity and selection problems in the statistical analysis of civil war occurrence through detailed historical narratives and a chronological sequence of events; it identifies and selects among causal mechanisms that explain the process of getting to civil war; and it identifies potentially omitted variables that might be usefully incorporated in a model of the causes of civil war.