By Geoffrey Bourne (Eds.)
Read or Download The Structure and Function of Muscle. Volume II: Structure, Part 2 PDF
Similar basic science books
This booklet is now five years outdated, however it is still the easiest, such a lot complicated and such a lot accomplished e-book on intraoperative neurophysiology tracking. it isn't a newcomers' publication, at lest no longer for newbies who shouldn't have an intensive historical past in neurophysiology, yet it is an indispensible reference. everybody with a major curiosity in IONM must have a replica.
Few parts of biomedical study offer higher possibilities for greatly new treatments for devastating illnesses that experience avoided therapy to this point than gene remedy. this is often quite actual for the mind and worried process, the place gene move has develop into a key expertise for simple examine and has lately been translated to human treatment in numerous landmark scientific trials.
Ordinarily, functions of biomechanics will version system-level points of the human physique. for that reason, the vast majority of technological growth so far seems to be in system-level equipment improvement. extra lately, biomechanical projects are investigating organic sub-systems akin to tissues, cells, and molecules.
This quantity, besides its better half (volume 475), provides tools and protocols facing thiol oxidation-reduction reactions and their implications as they relate to cell signaling. This first installment of Cadenas and Packer's two-volume therapy particularly offers with glutathionylation and dethiolation, and peroxide elimination by way of peroxiredoxins/thioredoxins and glutathione peroxidases.
- microRNA: Basic Science: From Molecular Biology to Clinical Practice (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology)
- Anatomy, descriptive and applied.
- The Flaviviruses: Pathogenesis and Immunity: The Flaviviruses: Current Molecular Aspects of Evo (Advances in Virus Research)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Vaccines, Prevention, and Control
- Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis
- Engineering the Human Germline: An Exploration of the Science and Ethics of Altering the Genes We Pass to Our Children
Extra resources for The Structure and Function of Muscle. Volume II: Structure, Part 2
A) Diagram of the microelectrode, technique. (B) Original tracings of the resting and action potentials. Note the recorded potential difference across the membrane when the microelectrode penetrates the myometrial cell (Goto and Csapo, 1959). Note also the action potential when electrically induced depolarization reaches the threshold value. ) measurements of the extracellular space (values of 30-40% are commonly quoted). However, it was observed (Fig. 5) that the resting potential is lowered by a stepwise increase in the [K] 0 , although a less than 58 mV slope was recorded for a tenfold change in [K] 0 .
7) explain how the working capacity of the uterus is promoted by increasing uterine volume. These effects of stretch on contractility are complemented by additional actions on ex citability. The microelectrodes revealed (Fig. 22) (Kuriyama and Csapo, 1961) that stretch lowers the membrane potential and threshold, in creases the frequency and total number of spikes in the train, increases the repetition frequency of the subsequent train discharges, and increases conduction velocity. No stimulants are known which have more pro found effects on uterine function.
The effects of ovariectomy and estrogen substitution therapy on the delivery mechanism. Pregnant rats. Note the precise timing of normal delivery, the failure in delivery after ovariectomy, and the correction of this failure by estrogen substitution therapy. ) amined in the excised uterus) explained this failure in delivery. Mechani cal activity decreased and electrical stimulation of limited uterine regions did not induce activity at distant portions. However, this short-term (48 hrs) estrogen deficiency did not reduce the contractile capacity of the uterus (probably because the uterine volume was sustained by the undelivered litter).